On Repeat #9

L

KAYSON
I'm Not Your Toy - La Roux
     So, for the past 3 years I've been a fan of La Roux. Like most people I heard her song "Bulletproof" on the radio a few years ago. However, when I like an artist's song on the radio I look up there other songs that aren't their big single. I instantly liked "I'm Not Your Toy" - such an upbeat song, with sort of the same female strength message as "Bulletproof". It's about telling someone "Hey dickhead, I'm not a facking toy so stop messing with my head", and who doesn't enjoy a nice song about telling some stupid boy to F off?



TESSA
Mowgli's Road - Marina and the Diamonds
     Kayley has mentioned how much she loves Marina before so I'll save you the torture of listening to me go on about how big of a girl crush I have on her (I literally couldn't speak when I met her). This is one of her older songs but it's so so so good. Her lyrics are always spot on, like Taylor Swift for girls who aren't always writing songs about their ex-boyfriends, even though a lot of her songs do deal with boys, there are also a lot just about life in general. My favorite line from this song comes from the chorus: "And I don't know, don't know, don't know who I wanna be." Because what twenty-something can't identify with that, unless you really have your shit together? Also her voice is one of my favorites of all time. So if you haven't listened to her already, go now. That's an order. 


RACHEL
Prophet (Better Watch It) – Rizzle Kicks
    These British dudes have been on my radar for a while now, but I didn’t reaaaaally dig them until Tori and I saw them open up for Ed Sheeran. That concert was easily one of the most painful experiences of my life. But I digress. Jordan and Harley (who, by the way, I would absolutely marry) are a little ambiguous in their genre, and move fluidly between a hip hop and pop vibe. A few months back I couldn’t get over their first album Stereo Typical and “Prophet” has made it back into my lineup. I think it showcases both Jordan’s rap runs and Harley’s more soulful voice. The lyrics are clever and flow well, and are a little cheeky (“Quick smile, then a middle finger to your face!”) Which is always A+. I’m warning you – if you check into these boys it may be the beginning of an obsession. Proceed with caution.  

TORI
Purple Yellow Red and Blue- Portugal. The Man
     I normally don't listen the radio much, but this week I gave it a try because I ran into a wall as to what music I wanted to listen to. In this one instance, it worked for me. As I was driving to work on a lovely Wednesday morning, I heard this song on our local "alternative" radio. Anywho, I fell in love with it. I have known about this band for awhile, just never gave a listen. "Purple Yellow Red and Blue" is catchy, but still pretty depressing all the same. With lyrics like, "Because working just don't work for me, can't focus, feeling hopeless, so I just sit back and try to relieve," and "It's not greed, but necessity, now I don't focus on the hopeless, when I look out it's only for me," the lyrics can seem a bit dark, but juxtaposed with the upbeat musicality, "Purple Yellow Red and Blue" as well as many songs on Evil Friends are balanced quite nicely.


JEN
7 Nation Army - The White Stripes
    Okay, so this song hasn't been "on repeat" all week but I heard it on the radio this morning on the way to work and remembered how badass I felt when listening to it. I was shamelessly singing along and jamming during my 20-minute commute. No fucks given. If for some reason you've been living in a cave on a remote island à la Tom Hanks, you need this song in your repertoire just to pump you up. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment