Lifestyle | What I'm Reading



     When I supposed to be studying for finals, I went ahead and bought a bunch of books to read over the summer. Amazon is definitely not my friend. Adding up the receipts, I spent almost $45 on these seven books. I normally like to read nonfiction, memoirs, genres of those sorts.

     So, starting with a book I have finished (I've started about three),

1. I Am An Emotional Creature by Eve Ensler
     This book of poetry and prose was different than I'm used to reading, but Eve Ensler definitely captivated my attention when I saw an interview with her on the documentary America the Beautiful. Naturally, I enjoyed some pieces more than others, but the ones I liked, I love and still reread them.

2. Insecure At Last by Eve Ensler
     I mean, Amazon recommended it to me, so I thought that was a good enough reason. I have started on this book and am about 40 pages in. She talks about the dynamics between what it means to be insecure. It is a really interesting perspective that most people strive to be secure in their lives, when in reality, we learn about ourselves and about other people better and more fully when we are insecure and vulnerable.

3. Clearly, I didn't think this through by Anna Goldfarb
     As a genius blogger, I am expecting great things of this book. Anna Goldfarb is hilarious and holds nothing back in terms of family and her personal life which I think makes her so wonderful. I hope that her wit shines through in this book. And let's be honest, the amount of times I catch myself saying, "clearly, I didn't think this through," it should be mandatory that I read it.

4. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
     I have been wanting to read this for awhile now. I catch myself wanting to repeat some of the things I've said for Anna Goldfarb about Mindy Kaling (I must have a type for role models). Anywho, this will probably be the next book I start after finishing Insecure At Last.

5. Finding Your Element by Sir Ken Robinson
     I normally don't read books of this sort, which dare I classify as a self help book. I was feeling a bit lost in my studies when I once again had bailed on my major. I saw a TED talk with Sir Robinson in which is discussed how our education system is failing us and what we can do about it. Finding Your Element is armed with exercises to make you think about what you are good at and what you are passionate about and how to use those aptitudes to do something you love. I'm about half way through this book and I actually really love it and find it immensely helpful.

6. Epiphany by Elise Ballard
     Another book I have yet to finish. Epiphany is just a conglomeration of interviews about different people's epiphany moments. They are not necessarily their epiphany about their career, but mostly in other aspects of their lives; religion, relationships, hobbies, etc. It's an interesting read that you can obviously pick up at any point and read in between, and skip over certain points if you wanted.

7. Incognito by David Eagleman
     To be quite honest, I'm not even 100% sure what this one is about, all I know is it is about the brain. Good. Well done, Tori. I picked it up because Amazon recommended it to me. I'm pretty sure Rachel has read it, or is in the process of reading it. With chapters titled, "There's Someone In My Head, but It's Not Me," and "Why Blameworthiness Is The Wrong Question," i'm sure it will be interesting.

**Other books I am meaning to read this summer; The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer, and Unmasking the Face by Paul Ekman

xx Tori

0 comments:

Post a Comment