Fake Awake | Splurge vs. Save


     Everyone has those mornings where you look (and feel) like sleep is an elusive, mysterious magic that you've never quite mastered. Unfortunately, that's how I feel 5/7 days a week. There really should be a Hogwarts of slumber. To ensure that I look like I logged off of YouTube and went to sleep at a normal/responsible hour, there's makeup. Fake it 'til you make it or whatever.

BRIGHT EYES | STILA 'KITTEN' VS. MAYBELLINE EXPERT EYES SMOKED NEUTRALS
     One of the dead giveaways to a restless night is yo peepers (why no, that's not a creepy word). You can look listless and dull after a TV marathon - or if you have a social life, go you - a night out. A simple way to bring some light back to your eyes is a shimmery nude eyeshadow. My go-to as of late has been Stila's kitten, which is a nice velvety texture and the perfect tone for my skin. Though not as friendly on the wallet (but L'oreal does a great dupe called 'Iced Latte'), some of the light, iridescent offerings from this Maybelline mini palette will achieve the same effect. Just a quick wash of color that will afford you a few extra moments in bed.

F YOU DARK CIRCLES | CLINIQUE AIRBRUSH VS. MAYBELLINE INSTANT AGE REWIND
     Apologies for the slightly profane subtitle, but I've developed a lasting animosity towards the seemingly permanent blue haze under my eyes. I could have slept on a bed of clouds for all eternity, and I'd wake up looking like a corpse. I'm always on the hunt for a good undereye concealer, and these are two of my favorites. Clinique Airbrush was one of many Lisa Eldridge inspired purchases, and not surprisingly it hasn't disappointed. It doesn't look cakey and is just illuminating enough to make me look like a real live human. Though slightly less iridescent, Instant Age Rewind covers dark circles and never creases. The texture is lovely though I'm not terribly fond of the sponge. Regardless, a very worth opponent.

HEALTHY FLUSH | TARTE NATURAL BEAUTY VS. SONIA KASHUK SUPER SHEER LIQUID TINT IN 'POPPY'
     I've been alllllllll about a well-blushed cheek lately, and my love for both of these knows no bounds. 'Natural Beauty' is spot on shade-wise to mimic the color I naturally flush - just in a more flattering location. The formula is sheer enough to not look over-powdered but still packs a solid punch of color. Sonia Kashuk's liquid blusher requires a little more layering but I love it all the same. It's a slightly warmer hue than Tarte's with a little gold shimmer. It in no way enlarges pores or looks unnatural, and I like the finish slightly more than my more expensive option. I'd think it would be suitable for all skin types as it lasts very well, and maintains a natural skin-like finish sometimes not offered by powder or cream.

PUCKER UP | YSL ROUGE VOLUPTE SHINE 14 'CORAIL IN TOUCH' VS. MAYBELLINE COLOR WHISPERER IN 'ORANGE ATTITUTDE'
     For a final awakening touch I think a good brightening lip color, but still sheer, fits the bill perfectly. My lips can lean a little cool-toned so something orange works well for my complexion. A bright pink would work as well. I don't like to go for anything too opaque as it can look heavy and overdone. This YSL lipstick was a ridiculous, unnecessary splurge. Shame aside, it is a color well-suited to my coloring and the light melon scent is reviving in the morning as well. If I'm honest, the Maybelline tinted balm is embarrassingly similar in color (if anything, slightly redder) though I don't find the formula as kind to the lips. Still, it perks up my tired face and also stains ever so slightly, as does the YSL.

    Whoop, there it is. A few options to be a Sleeping Beauty imposter. What are your tips/tricks/products for an enlivened face? Comment below!

xx
Rachel


0 comments:

Post a Comment