Haircare Routine | Rachel

   
     Hello ladies & gents! As the title clearly indicates, today I'll be sharing what I use to take care of my hurrrr. Just as a reference, my hair is quite fine - so it tends to get flat and oily quickly. However, I like more voluminous and textured locks. Think bedhead. I typically just wash my hair at night and brush through it (using a Goody TangleFix), and then leave it to dry overnight. This way, I avoid excessive heat use by skipping blow-drying and have a little bit of body when I wake up. Anyhow, if you're at all interested in what I use to "tame the mane" as they say, read on.

THE STANDARDS

John Frieda Full Repair Shampoo & Conditioner
Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo
      As previously mentioned my hair tends to be flat, lifeless, pancake-esque - or any variation of those words you can conceive. Thus, it probably doesn't make much sense that I'd be using a a damage-correcting shampoo and conditioner regime. I still do use a curling wand and/or flat iron slightly more than occasionally. Plus, since I feel compelled to wash on a regular basis I shy away from anything that is going to dehydrate my hair. However, I think John Frieda's version is quite different from other brands' lines. It is branded as a "full body" duo that won't weigh your hair down.  The best part is that this combo actually delivers on it's promise. I've noticed it's much easier to comb through my hair and these leave it looking shiny and healthy. Even better, I've never once felt that horrendous heavy feeling. Now, if you have drier or coarser hair I think you may want to opt for something more heavy duty. Though for you fine-haired ladies who color or heat style - this line may be for you.

     Even though I do wash regularly, I try to avoid doing so every day. First of all, my shampoo and conditioner magically poof away after about 3 weeks. I've also never quite understood "second day hair" in all its glory because I look more like a hobo than a tousled-haired goddess, but whatever. To hold me over on the in between days, I turn to the Clean Freak dry shampoo. Thus far it's the best I've tried in terms of both scent and functionality. As a bonus, it does actually add volume and grit which is perfect for achieving that bedhead aesthetic.

THE SAVERS

Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Weightless Healing Dry Oil
Not Your Mother's Beat the Heat Thermal Shield Spray
Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula Replenishing Hair Milk
Catwalk by TIGI Oatmeal & Honey Conditioner
     Alrighty, so these are all my saviors when it come to my hair. Tangles come with the territory of fine hair, so I'm always on the lookout for something that will remedy this. This Organix oil scared me a bit at first, because I didn't want to add anything heavy to my already weighed-down hair. In spite of said fear, this is A+ as a detangler that doubles as a treatment. I've found it to be much more effective than my Suave Kids option I'd used in the past. It smells fantastic, and the spray delivers a fine mist (I apply to damp hair) that doesn't lead to any stringy strands.

     Basically, all I have to say that distinguishes this Not Your Mother's heat protectant is the smell. Its scent is dabomb.com. Most of the time I just spray this on my hair to smell like a fresh ass summer's day. Seriously. I guess it's also cool that it stops me from frying my hair but that's honestly an afterthought. Most products like this are incredibly similar so if you're in the market for a new heat spray BUY THIS.

     On days where I don't want a heavy condition but I still need a little nourishment, I turn to this hair milk. This smells nice as well, but isn't overpowering. It aids in detangling a wee bit, but gives my hair a break from anything too heavy. Plus, there's no sulfates or parabens. Woooohoooo.

     I keep rattling on about scent...but seriously this shit smells like I got all domestic and baked a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies. Damn. This is marketed as "comfort food for dry hair" so I use it sparingly; about once a week. If I'm honest, it hasn't done anything groundbreaking for my hair. It conditions well, but I don't even notice much of a difference from my normal conditioner. The scent does linger though, so I enjoy it every time I use it. At $15 a bottle (though I've seen double packs for the same price, angering) I probably won't repurchase it but I love that my hair smells like Betty Crocker's kitchen once a week. 

THE STYLERS
Aussie Sprunch Flexible Hold Hairspray
Organix Moroccan SurfPaste

     Though I do like volume and texture, I'm not looking to achieve anything crunchy or stringy. Keeping this in mind, I almost always go for a light or flexible hold hairspray so I have both hold and movement. Aussie's Catch the Wave Sprunch hairspray fits the bill perfectly. The aerosol can gives a fine, even mist but still allows me to run my fingers through my hair. Oh, and guess what? It smells good.

     To give my hair some grit and a little extra hold, I turn to this Organix paste. Using about a dime-sized dollop, I run this through the middle and ends of my hair after I've used a curling wand. I even use it when my hair is straight if I'm craving a bit of messiness (note: I usually am.) It smells exactly like the oil I use as a detangler, so obviously I approve. Plus, since it has sea kelp and Argan oil it isn't too drying on my hair. If you want something a bit more nourishing than salt spray, this would be a great alternative. I'm also fairly sure this stuff will last for all eternity, so I suppose that's the ultimate bargain.

See errbody next week!

xx
Rachel


0 comments:

Post a Comment