Back to School | Easy Snacks

     

     With school edging closer, most people become significantly busier (including myself). This presents a serious problem. Well, many problems - but let's stay focused. I mean to speak of the issue of snacking. It comes as no surprise that minimal effort and time is my preferred route when preparing food. In addition, I'm always on the move. Ain't nobody about to eat fancy food in rush hour traffic. So, to combat these issues and satiate my appetite, I regularly turn to these couple of snacks. Plus they're fairly healthy. Which is a little out of my element but whatever, read on.



BAKED APPLE CHIPS 
     I'm not even going to try to take the credit for this recipe. I found it on Pinterest. How original. Anyhow these are incredibly easy and even better - portable. And delicious, of course. 

What You Need:
  • Apples (I used Pink Lady, but whichever variety you prefer is fine.)
  • Cinnamon
  • Brown Sugar
  • Granulated Sugar
  • Nutmeg
     I've read several variations of this recipe, all switching up the spices (one suggested turmeric?), temperature, etc. So feel free to customize and cater to your specific taste - I''m looking forward to trying this with pears. Essentially, slice your apples incredibly thin using a knife or a mandolin slicer if you have one on hand. The thinner you slice them, the crispier they will be. You may core the apple if you like, though I didn't. Just make sure to pop the seeds out. Once sliced, arrange them on a parchment-lined pan or a nonstick surface. Sprinkle whichever spices you've selected all over the apples and bake at 200 degrees for around 2.5 hours. No need to be too precise. You can also choose to turn the oven off and let them sit a while longer for extra crispiness. Boom.

VEGGIES AND DIP
     I know, I know. Vegetables and ranch dip. Groundbreaking snack. Still, this shit is awesome. 

What You Need:
  • Hidden Valley Dips flavor packet (I used ranch but there are various options.)
  • 16 ounces of plain Greek yogurt; any brand
  • Vegetables (duh)
     Now for the long, meticulously detailed description of how to achieve this snack. Open packet. Pour into yogurt. Stir. Dip vegetable. Enjoy. Hope you caught all of that, I know it's difficult. Anyway, this is much healthier than using sour cream and the protein in the Greek yogurt will give you a wee energy boost. I quite like sliced peppers (yellow and hot banana peppers are my fav) but obviously this is versatile and can be used to smother whatever your little heart desires.

     Snack on you broke ladies and gentleman, I shall speak to you next week. Possibly with more Back to School wisdom. Ha.

xx
Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment