Back to Basics | Sensitive Skincare

     As Tori recently mentioned in her review of Lush Ultrabland, after my short-lived trial of the cleanser I went through an allergic reaction. It was the only new addition to my routine and it seems as if Iris is the culprit. A small bout with contact dermatitis sent me into skincare survival mode, and I significantly pared back my routine. Sticking to cleansing and moisturizing (along with a few over the counter medicated creams) seemed to look after my skin without exacerbating the irritation.

     I continued to wear minimal makeup a few days during my reaction. Naturally, I would never think of sleeping in my makeup. So to remove all traces I turned to the Clinique Take the Day Off cleansing balm. This has been a part of my rotation for a while now. It does the job, no fluff. The lack of fragrance and potentially problematic essential oils was ideal for my flare up. Simple Replenishing Rich Moisturizer followed my cleanse, making sure to keep things hydrated yet calm.

    Come morning, I found all of my current cleansers to be too harsh considering the current condition of my skin. I picked up Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser in the creamy formula, not expecting too much. If you are looking for a miraculous, transformative cleanser this won't do it for you. Still, this managed to remove any build-up from the previous night and left my skin feeling balanced. I've actually continued use, just because I like how unassuming and simple it is. To finish off, I used the CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. A staple in my routine, hyaluronic acid offers lasting hydration and dimethicone  (a common ingredient in makeup primers) smooths things over well before applying base. It has never bothered my skin in the least and saw me through the reaction.

     Obviously anyone can react to any product or ingredient, so this routine may not work for everyone. However I hope it can help if you suffer from quite sensitive skin and I highly recommend everything I've mentioned. Ultimately, my advice would be to isolate what is causing the issue (and discontinue use) and temporarily rely on only products you know are gentle.

What do you all turn to in times of skin sensitivity? See ya later!

xx
Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment