Essie Dupes

    I frequently fall victim to the allure of Essie polish. Pretty hues all wrapped up in minimalist packaging – am I really meant to resist? However, with a steadily rising price tag they aren’t the most frugal of purchases. Luckily (during countless hours wandering the drugstore) I’ve discovered a few substitutes.

WATERMELON // SALLY HANSEN HARD AS NAILS TOUGH LOVE
    A deep, berry pink is lovely to wear year round. After hearing Kate of gh0stparties praise this shade I decided it needed to be mine. Though I don’t think the color too unique, it took me quite a while to find a dupe. Everything was either too bright, too pale, or the wrong undertone (such adversity I’ve struggled through). At last, this insanely cheap option from Sally Hansen appeared. Bonus: the formula is lovely and is opaque in one coat.

SPLASH OF GRENADINE // MAYBELLINE COLOR SHOW LUST FOR LILAC
    I mentioned this Maybelline offering in my Spring Edit video, but only upon purchasing Splash of Grenadine did I realize how similar the two are. Unfortunately I much prefer the formula of Essie’s version, as Maybelline’s can be a little streaky. Though Lust for Lilac may be slightly more pastel, it allows you to achieve the same effect at less than half the price.

TURQUOISE & CAICOS // NYC TUDOR CITY TEAL
    Turquoise & Caicos is well-suited for the warmer weather, and last summer I donned it all the time. Still, that nice green-tinged blue can be found on a budget. NYC’s line of polish is consistently good quality and seems to stay fairly updated with the trends.  Also, if you’re lusting after Essie’s Matte About You topcoat NYC’s Matte Me Crazy will do the job.

MERINO COOL // SALLY HANSEN COMPLETE SALON MANICURE COMMANDER IN CHIC
    A taupe polish is a staple in my collection, and these two are perfect examples. Neutral, but with an undertone of purple, they are fantastic when I’m hoping to look pulled together but not dull. The Sally Hansen Salon Manicure line is slightly pricey for a drugstore option, but the quality is not lacking. If you’re looking to save just a few dollars, Commander in Chic won’t disappoint. Bonus points for the pun.

LADYLIKE // RIMMEL LONDON 60 SECOND NAIL POLISH CARAMEL CUPCAKE
     This is the perfect nude for me. I frequently have issues with natural shades being too orange or too dark. Surprise, surprise. The cool undertone works well with my coloring and is a little more unique than your basic nude. Caramel Cupcake is so similar to the Essie version that I could easily touch up a manicure with either of the shades. Rimmel's quality is on point, and it even boasts a wide brush that makes application no fuss. Boom.

SECRET STORY // REVLON PLUM SEDUCTION
     Occasionally, I am partial to a bright color on the nails. Secret Story fits the bill perfectly. However, Revlon offers the same shade at nearly half the price. I believe I've mentioned their line several times, as it's one of my favorites from the drugstore. Essie's shade is slightly more pink, but the difference is nearly imperceptible on the nails. 


Have you all found any strikingly similar shades? Auf Weidersehen until next weekend!

xx
Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment