Top 5 | Studying Essentials

Man oh man, has this semester been the bane of my existence. I didn't really get my ass into gear until after Spring Break and even that was questionable. So here I am, five weeks left, and an absurd amount of work to do in preparation for finals. Joy to the world. Thankfully, I've managed to get my studying down to a science (lolz, get it? Since I'm a science major. I crack myself up). So, here are a list of my top 5 necessities that may help you plow through some work on this beautiful Saturday afternoon.

1. Caffeine (duh).
     I have so many forms of caffeine in my apartment that it's become a space issue. Not only do I have my trusty Newman's Original K-cups (my personal favorite coffee) but I also have various forms of tea. My personal favorite caffeine source is an Iced Chai Tea Latte using half milk and half Tazo Chai Tea concentrate. That shit is good, man. It's also a really nice alternative to drinking coffee all the time. In addition, my mom recently sent me a care package with a box of assorted teas and a can of Chai Tea as well (reviews to come soon - they're both from World Market). Last but not least, I live by my trusty Wild Sweet Orange tea from Tazo. I know it doesn't contain caffeine but the citrusy flavor is perfect when I'm in the final stretch at 2am and don't want to drink more caffeine.

2. An amazing thermos.
     I am not joking, a good thermos can change your life (and save your bank account). I never knew such high quality thermoses (is that the plural of thermos?) existed before I got this one for Christmas. I unfortunately took the tag off so I'm not sure where it's from but I would guess Starbucks... I think my Mom said she bought it there. Either way, look for a thermos that is made of metal on the inside (at least that's what mine is). This thermos keeps the ice in my Iced Chai Lattes from melting for over 4 hours. It blows my mind every time. This thermos isn't as good for hot beverages but still keeps them hot for around 3. That's incredible to me because when I get out of my two hour lab at 9am, I still have a hot or cold drink instead of buying one or going back home. And that's how a broke girl lives.

3. The perfect study playlist.
     I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I have different playlists for different types of studying. When  I'm reading, I need music with no words because I get distracted. Copying notes or working problems requires a combination of pop and rap (mostly rap recently). Writing essays requires a more chill/laidback feel. If you're interested in the playlists I use, check them out below:

4. Snacks.
     If you're drinking gallons of caffeine, you're going to need some food to counterbalance the jittery feeling you'll be experiencing in the next 20 minutes. It's the absolute worst to be fidgety when you're trying to get a bunch of work done, take it from me. I know it can be tempting to pick up chips or candy to study to, but in reality you know you'll just eat the entire bag and that's not a good look. Plus, you'll be feeling like absolute shit in about an hour and you'll have a major sugar crash. I recommend pretzels or Goldfish crackers if you want something crunchy. Another recent favorite for me has been edamame, which are delicious beans that are just as addictive as a huge bag of Frito's. Plus, you're getting some veggies in which is difficult enough on a normal basis. Other good snacks: pistachios, fruit, string cheese, a bagel with peanut butter, or a smoothie. Aaaand now I'm hungry.

5. A reliable, productive place to study.
     I hate doing work in my apartment this semester. I did it all the time in the fall when the weather was dreary but now the sun is out and it just makes me depressed that I'm cooped up in inside. My new favorite place has been a cubicle in the library. You are still around people but the dividers help prevent me from getting distracted and there is plenty of space to spread your shit out and really camp out for a few hours. Make sure your study place has enough room, isn't full of distractions, and even rather isolated. It's easier to stay focused when eleventy people aren't walking by every fifteen minutes, believe me.

Well that's all for me today, folks! Study hard and know that summer is right around the corner, you'll make it through!

xx
Jen

0 comments:

Post a Comment