Breakfast To-Go


     With the onset of the New Year, I decided to make an effort to eat healthier. I know myself too well to think I’d survive a total overhaul of my diet. Thus, I’m taking baby steps – starting with breakfast. Too often I find myself in the Dunkin drive thru or picking up a soufflé at Panera.  After perusing the ol’ internet I found a few recipes that were healthy, but no fuss. I’m always in a rush (to say the least) in the mornings but these manage to work for both my schedule and appetite.

MICROWAVE SCRAMBLE
Ingredients:
                2 eggs
                veggies + cheese (any/however much you prefer)
     This sounds unpleasant, I know. Zapping your eggs in the microwave isn’t exactly gourmet but it does the job. In fact, the texture was completely fine. I quickly beat the eggs together and pop them in Tupperware. If you like your eggs plain Jane, you can stop there. I, however, like to add in a few quartered cherry tomatoes and feta cheese – but the options are aplenty. Any additions you’d like will do. I’m looking forward to trying some chopped spinach and parmesan. Once you’ve mixed everything together, microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and finish up with another 30 seconds. The finished result is tasty and portable. If you’d rather not eat in traffic, and you have a microwave at your disposal, you could even mix at home and cook everything at work. Boom.

SPINACH SMOOTHIE
Ingredients:
                3-4 cups of baby spinach
                ½ cup greek yogurt
                1 tbsp. peanut butter
                1 cup of milk (almond, soy, or cow)
                1 banana (frozen & sliced)
     I swiped this recipe from here and it’s one of the best I’ve tried. It honestly tastes like a banana slathered in peanut butter yet it’s packed with great shit. You could easily make this the night before, but as long as you’ve frozen the banana it’s still quick in the morning. I can never finish a whole serving for breakfast (afternoon snack, hello?). Options like this are great because I can sip on them continuously and feel full – without the guilt of a vending machine run.

LIFEBLOOD/COFFEE
     This isn’t exactly revolutionary, or healthy. Still I thought I’d share how I’ve enjoyed my coffee as of late. If anything, it saves me from blowing five bucks at Starbucks. Personally, I tend to go for a medium roast. I’m incapable of downing black coffee so cream and sugar are a must. I add a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a spoonful of brown sugar. Perfecto.

     If anyone has suggestions for speedy breakfasts, I’d love to be clued in so comment below!

Xx
Rachel


0 comments:

Post a Comment